Thursday, April 22, 2010

Reauthorization of what act?

Looking at the comment from "wise educator" on this Inside Ed Post, I realized it had been a while since I tried to spark up some City Schools discussions. I got an email today that seems a perfect opportunity. I've pasted the text below the break. You can go there if you haven't already received and read the same email. If you didn't receive this email it's not some super secret list of people in the know. All you need to do is add yourself to the email list here.

Now, onto the discussion.

I feel like I'm not exactly clueless on education, but I had no idea what the "Reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act" was. It was only a few google search clicks away to find this and this. I don't mind doing a little digging and all, but you'd get more takers on the invite if there was a little bit of an explanation, like "the Obama administration's take on the federal government's role in education and revisions to the No Child Left Behind Act."

As a parent of a special needs student, I've been none too impressed with Mr. Duncan. There have been a lot of other issues to get through on the president's plate, though, so I'm trying to remain optimistic. I'm hoping that this meeting will outline some vision and generate some discussion to keep me optimistic. I'm not sure how much useful discussion there will be in this setting, and a "roundtable" discussion with 200 people seems pretty unmanageable to me. Plus, I wouldn't mind an agenda. But those are quibbles.

Regardless, someone from this household will be there. Given the eleven years we've invested in City Schools and the seven to ten that we've still got to go, we'll be there.

------------------------------------------------------------------
April 22, 2010
Dear City Schools Colleagues, Staff, Partners and Friends,

The Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners and the CEO of Baltimore City Public Schools invite you to a Roundtable Discussion on the Reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and what it means for City Schools. The discussion will take place this coming Monday, April 26, 2010, 3-5 p.m., in the auditorium at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture at 830 East Pratt Street, Baltimore MD 21202.

A reception will immediately follow the discussion.City Schools’ leadership will be joined at this important event by:
  • Michael Casserly, Executive Director of the Council of the Great City Schools
  • Gary Huggins, Executive Director of the Aspen Institute's Commission on No Child Left Behind
  • Charmaine Mercer, Senior Education Policy Advisor for the House Committee on Education and Labor
If you would like to attend, please R.S.V.P. to Kerry Whitacre Swarr at 410-396-8803 or KWhitacre@bcps.k12.md.us by noon on Friday, April 23, 2010. This event is limited to 200 R.S.V.Ps, but there are still plenty of open slots.

Parking is available directly across the street on the corner of Pratt and President Streets at the Dodge PMI Little Italy Garage (815 E. Pratt Street).

Thank you. And I hope to see you there.
Sincerely,

Andrés A. Alonso, Ed.D.CEO, Baltimore City Public Schools

1 comment:

  1. Did you see the announcement in the Sun that Sara won first place writing award for her series on Alonso? I sorely miss her writing. Thank you for continuing to blog. I have a conflict for the roundtable which I am trying to resolve.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Ads, on the other hand, will be deleted.