Saturday, April 10, 2010

How's that weight loss resolution going?




So the weight loss program at work had a three part homework assignment for this weekend. I'm posting part one - Saturday morning - here:

Why I’m committed to a healthier lifestyle and loosing weight:

I know that I am a strong person, but carrying around all this extra weight is going to soon take its toll. It might be knee problems, high blood pressure or something else, but given how heavy I am something is going to give. I really need to be healthy and able for the long term for my own goals and for my responsibilities.

Another thing I know is that the majority of my weight gains periods have had to do with stress and frustration. I know that I have choices in dealing with stress and I choose to meet it head on with a joyful attitude. I know that this requires conscious effort, but really – what’s the point of being alive if you are not consciously involved in life? I know that if I see my weight is in an unhealthy place and I am not moving towards a healthier weight I am eating out of stress.

What I’ve gained so far in my effort:

- I am empowered – I know I can loose weight and I know what does and doesn’t work
- I feel a big mood boost when I am successful – this morning my total loss is >16 lbs and this week is going to be back on track for a weekly loss of 1 – 2 lbs. I’m really happy about that
- I’m starting to fit better in some clothes and it won’t be long before I can get some summer shorts that are a size down from the ones that were tight last summer.
- I’m looking for ways to fit exercise in my life and because of that in my kids’ lives. I think this will keep them on a healthier path than I have been on

Conclusions & re-commitment:

I hit a plateau a few weeks ago during a period of stress. I’m happy that I didn’t gain back the weight I had lost, but I did get stuck for the better part of a month. The weather is nice and even though the workload isn’t going down I know that I can find time every day to exercise and every night I can find other things to do besides eat to de-stress. I’m on a good path and it’s a long term change I’m committed to, not just hitting a specific weight or BMI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Ads, on the other hand, will be deleted.