Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A step in the right direction indeed

I've got to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this court outcome. I'm hoping that every person who interacts with someone on the autism spectrum is paying attention to the story of Alex Barton and Wendy Portillo. In summary - abuse a kid, get suspended and lose tenure. Appeal if you want, but this type of cruelty has consequences. As Alex's mom commented, “It’s a step in the right direction."

I think the majority of people out there are good and kind, but if you're not, or if you're feeling overwhelmed by your situation there is a lesson to be learned. It is not OK to be abusive towards an autistic person just because you have the power to do so. This case establishes a precedence of pretty severe consequences.

I'm also hoping that others who see this type of abuse take heart in this ruling. There is a reason to object to cruelty that is happening to your kid or that you see happening in your work environment. Your complaints can make it stop. Woo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Ads, on the other hand, will be deleted.