Monday, May 17, 2010

Short notice

This is starting off feeling like a rant, so I'll try to take some breaths before type faster than my brain can work.

inhale...exhale...inhale...

Ok, I'm no longer mad, but how about annoyed?

I'm relatively new to being a high school parent (eldest is a sophomore) and I was willing to chalk-up last year's HSA confusion to a freshman who was disorganized. But this year that's not the case.

So on Saturday, before leaving to get out of the city for a little non-wired R&R I asked my high school student what her schedule for HSA week was and if it was like last year, i.e. show up for one morning (one test) and the rest off the week you got to stay home. "Ummm....I know we have HSA's but I'm not sure...ummm." I asked if she had a flyer with the information. No flyer. OK, I went to check out the website. No information beyond what was published on the City School calendar at the start of the year. Desperate calls and facebook pleas and it turns out HSAs are in the morning this year and you're expected to go to school in the afternoon. Can everyone say "transportation logistics nightmare"? And you take two HSAs sophomore year. Suddenly, the week I had thought would be relaxed just turned into a mess.

I'm guessing these decisions were made long ago and if, at that point, something had been sent to parents I would not be the annoyed mom that I now am.

Whatever. We'll cope.

Here's my root cause problem analysis. If you want involved parents, you might actually have some sort of way to communicate with them.

2 comments:

  1. Here's my root cause problem analysis. If you want involved parents, you might actually have some sort of way to communicate with them.

    My problem is that this extends to knowing what homework is supposed to be done/what topics are being studied and tested on for our 4th grader on the autism spectrum. We've gone on and on regarding specific help needed with executive function things (to the point of suggesting lists by paper or e-mail to be sent home), but have had little luck this year, with him having a very disorganized teacher.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're lucky that the school that my special kid goes to is actually the best about communication. We get daily status reports from his one-on-one aide and my husband volunteers every day for lunch so there's a lot of informal communication as well. I'm hoping that since we've establishd this at the elementary school we can do the same thing in middle school. It helps that we're supposed to be keeping the same aide.

    The high school is a problem, but at least that relates to my nero-typical kids. It's still frustrating, but I can transfer a certain amount of responsibility to them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Ads, on the other hand, will be deleted.